"This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links."
As people approach their senior years, they go through a lot of changes. They retire, they may suffer from health problems, and often their vision fades. When this happens, they need to find ways to continue doing everyday activities such as telling time from their watches. Watch designers are aware of this issue, so they make some watches especially for seniors. They are easier to read. Continue reading to learn about the five best easy-to-read watches for seniors and the elderly.
5 Best Easy-to-Read Watches for Seniors/Elderly
Timex Easy Reader 38mm Leather Strap Watch
Timex Men's TW2P75800 Easy Reader 38mm Brown/Gold-Tone/Cream Leather Strap Watch
- Adjustable brown 20 millimeter genuine leather strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- Cream easy-to-read dial with date window at 3 o'clock; Full Arabic numerals
- Gold-tone 38 millimeter brass case with mineral glass crystal
- Indiglo light-up watch dial
- Water resistant to 30 meters (100 feet): In general, withstands splashes or brief immersion in water, but not suitable for swimming or bathing
This watch is made with a cream dial that is easy to read. It also has a date window at three o’clock, and it has full Arabic numbers to make it simple to read the time. The brass case is gold toned, and it is 38 mm. It also has mineral glass crystal. It is water resistant up to 100 feet, and it can withstand splashes and a brief immersion in water. It isn’t suitable for swimming or bathing, but it can handle getting a little bit wet.
The strap is genuine leather, and it is adjustable and brown. It will fit wrists that are up to eight inches in circumference. This watch also comes in many other colors. It has different colored straps and different colored faces and cases. Timex has been known for its quality watches for many years, and they make attractive watches. The date window has been enlarged, so it is easy to see, and it has a battery life of up to 10 years. It has a backlight that makes it easy to see the time any time.
- Mineral crystal
- Enlarged date window at 3:00
- Indiglo backlight
- Expansion band
- Water resistant to 100 feet
- Quartz analog movement
- Genuine leather band
- Large numbers that are easy to read
- Indiglo backlight to help read the time in the dark
- Water resistant up to 100 feet
- No extra features
- Limited number of styles
Casio Men’s ‘Easy To Read’ Quartz Black Casual Watch (Model: MW240-1B2V)
This is another easy to read watch, and Casio does a great job. It has a casual rugged look, and it is great for active seniors. It has a black resin strap, and it comes with a buckle style clasp. It is comfortable on all different wrists, and it has a black bezel and face with just a little silver on the crown. This is a great watch that is attractive and functional.
It also has a three hand analog design, which makes it easy for seniors to read. The white and silver hands have an obelisk style that stands out. Everything on the watch face is larger than standard watches, so it is easy for seniors to tell time. It has an acrylic crystal face and a stainless steel case with a resin band. It is water resistant up to 150 feet, and it has a buckle clasp.
- Quartz analog movement
- Acrylic crystal
- Three hand analog easy reader and buckle clasp
- Water resistant up to 150 feet
- Stainless steel case and a resin band
- Simple yet sporty design
- Large font is easy to read
- It doesn’t have backlighting
- Water resistant, but not waterproof
TimeChant Atomic! Talking Watch
FIVE SENSES Atomic! Talking Watch - Sets Itself Senses Metal Easy-to-Read Talking Watch (Silver)
- ✅SETS ITSELF: This watch sets itself automatically by the Radio Atomic Clock Signal, so you never have to worry about adjusting the time or date, as well as the Daylight Saving Time.
- ✅CLEAR VOICE: This watch announces the time, date, day, month, year, alarm status and signal reception status in a pleasant male voice at the touch of a button.
- ✅EASY TO READ: This watch has large LCD digits that are easy to read in any light condition. The watch also looks good on a man's or lady's wrist, with its elegant round metal watch case and sleek...
- ✅GREAT GIFT: This watch is a perfect gift for anyone who is visually impaired, elderly or blind.
- ✅BATTERY INCLUDED: This watch only uses one CR2032 battery (included) for both the digital display and the voice.
The Timechant Atomic Talking Watch is a great option for seniors. It is a digital LCD watch that can speak the time when the wearer presses a button. This is great for seniors who have trouble seeing the watch. It is also a great watch for seniors with dementia because they can always find out what time it is.
There are other benefits to this watch. It shows the day of the week, and it can set the time itself. It also has the ability to set an alarm, and there is backlighting for seniors to look at it at night. It has a stretch band with a flexible strap, so it works great for seniors who have arthritis. They don’t have to deal with any buckles or clasps.
- Self-setting time
- 40 mm diameter watch face
- It speaks the time
- Shows the day of the week
- Metal watch case and design
- Works for both women and men
- Large LCD numbers
- Flexible bracelet strap
- Sets a single alarm
- Sets the time itself
- Speaks the time for seniors who have trouble seeing
- Attractive design for both men and women
- Some women find the watch too bulky
- Watch is not waterproof
Armitron Sport Unisex Digital Chronograph Silicone Strap Watch, 40/8423
Armitron Sport Quartz Fitness Watch with Silicone Strap, Black, 22 (Model: 40/8423BRD)
- Black resin case with glass crystal lens; Reverse LCD display with time, seconds and day; Black and red double injected perforated silicone strap with buckle closure
- Functions include: date, chronograph, lap time, alarm, military time and backlight with three second delay
- Quartz Movement
- Case Diameter: 43.5mm
- Water resistant to 165 feet (50M)
This watch by Armitron has a sleek design. It has an easy-to-read watch face, and it uses both military time and standard time. There is a backlight that has a three-second fade. When you press the button, it will stay lit for three seconds so that you have enough time to see what time it is. It is easy to read no matter what the lighting is.
People can also wear the watch when they are swimming or running, as it has a lap-time feature. It has a black resin case and a crystal lens. The band is black and red with double injection and perforation. It is made of silicone, and it has a buckle closure. It has an alarm and a chronograph.
- Black resin case with glass crystal lens
- Reverse LCD display with time, seconds, day, and date
- Black and red double injected perforated silicone strap
- Buckle closure
- Quartz movement
- Three-second fade for backlight
- Water resistant up to 330 feet
- Comes in a few different colors and styles
- Attractive watch is stylish
- Silicone band is very comfortable
- Three-second fade gives seniors time to see the time
- Water resistant up to 330 feet
- Some say the backlight isn’t bright enough
- Need to press two buttons at the same time for backlighting
Timex Ironman Classic 30 Full-Size 38mm Watch
Timex Men's T5E901 Ironman Classic 30 Gray/Black Resin Strap Watch, Black/Gray/Orange Accent, One Size
- Adjustable black 16 millimeter resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph with 30-lap memory; 24-hour countdown timer. On-screen prompts make setting easy forward or backward setting
- 3 daily, weekday or weekend alarms; 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; Day, date and month calendar
- Gray and black 38 millimeter resin case with acrylic lens; Gray digital display; Indiglo light-up watch dial
- Water resistant to 100 meters (330 feet): In general, suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving
This watch is a great digital option for seniors. It has a blue and black resin case, which works for both men and women. It has extra features for seniors who are active. The digital display is protected by an acrylic lens, and it has a large face and large numbers that are east to see
This watch does have more features, so it is better for seniors who will use these features. It has a timer, three alarms, a 30 lap memory, the day, date, and month, and it can use two time zones. It can display both military and standard time, and it has indiglo back lighting. It is water resistant up to 330 feet.
- Digital watch
- 100 hour chronograph with 30 lap memory
- Indiglo backlighting
- 2 time zones
- Water resistant up to 330 feet
- 3 alarms: daily, weekday, or weekend
- Shows military and standard time
- Day, date, and month calendar
- Large numbers are easy to see
- Extra features make this a useful watch
- Three different alarms
- More complicated for seniors with dementia
Which Is Better: Digital or Analog Displays?
Digital and analog watches are both popular, but some people have a preference for one or the other. There are a lot of great watches in both styles that are easy to read for seniors. If a senior grew up wearing an analog watch, they might prefer the style. That being said, digital watches are very easy to read quickly. They are especially great for seniors who are suffering from dementia.
Some of the digital watches will have extra features, including the date or the day of the week. They might have backlighting to brighten up the time, and they can have larger numbers. Both types are great, so it really is a matter of preference.
What Features Make a Watch Easy to Read?
There are different features that make a watch easier to read. You will want to consider the following:
- Strong display contrast: no matter which type of watch you choose, you will want to have a strong display contrast. This might be black numbers on a light colored face, or white numbers on a dark background. The strong contrast helps to make the time easier to read.
- Larger face: When a watch has a larger face, it is easier to read because it is bigger. This makes it possible for the numbers to be larger.
- Larger numbers: Larger numbers will make it easier to see the time. When they are large and clear, it is much easier for seniors to read the time.
- Simple design: When a watch has a simple design, there isn’t anything confusing that gets in the way of telling time. Extra characters make it harder to read. Simple, ordinary numbers are easy to interpret and read, especially for people who have dementia.
- Backlighting: Backlighting makes it easy to tell the time, even if there is a low light situation.
Making sure that the watch is easy to read is a priority, but there are other features to consider. The level of importance will vary among different people, but these are all important factors:
- Easy to set the time: many seniors have arthritis, so it is important that the time is easy to set.
- Water resistance: water resistance is important, especially for seniors who want to wear the watch in the shower.
- Talking watch: some watches will speak the time when you press a button.
- Battery life: seniors appreciate a watch with a long battery life.
- Extra information: some watches also tell the date or the day of the week, which can be beneficial.
- Style of band and clasp: seniors usually want a band that is comfortable and easy to put on and take off.
- Weight: some watches are solid and heavy, while others are lightweight.
- Number of buttons: when a watch has a lot of extra functions, it will have extra buttons. This can be confusing for some seniors, while it may be welcomed by others.
When you are looking for a watch that is easy to read for seniors, there are a lot of great options. Some of them are digital, while others are analog. They usually have backlighting, and they often have larger numbers and a larger face. You can choose the one that is best for your needs.
Last update on 2023-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API