The G-Shock and Baby G watches are both made by Casio. They were developed by someone who got tired of his watch always breaking, which leads us to where they are today. Both watches are high-quality watches with lots of great features, but the biggest difference between the two is the fact that the G-Shock is made for large wrists, which is why their case diameters are usually 50mm or larger. The G-Shock watches tend to be dark in color, bulky, and very masculine-looking, while the Baby G watches are made for smaller wrists and can therefore fit women and even children. Let’s take a look at some of the other similarities and differences between these two watches.
Five Differences Between G-Shock and Baby G Watches
- Men’s vs. Women’s. While these watches are usually not always specified as “men’s” or “women’s” watches, the sheer size of the watches means that men will naturally gravitate toward the G-Shock watches because they are bigger and bulkier, while women and children will naturally prefer the Baby G watches because they are smaller and a bit daintier. That being said, there is no hard-and-fast rule regarding this feature. Many men may prefer smaller watches and therefore choose the Baby G watch, and many women who like bigger watches have purchased a G-Shock watch in the past.
- Water Resistance. If water resistance is important to you, just know that both G-Shock and Baby G watches are water-resistant to a certain depth, but you’ll have to check each watch to determine what you can and can’t do with them once they’re on your wrist. Most of these watches are water-resistant to 660 feet, or 200 meters, which means that you can shower and swim with the watch on and it won’t cause problems. That being said, it’s imperative that you check out this feature on all of these watches before you buy one because they all have different numbers associated with them, and you’ll want to be sure that the watch you buy works for you. By and large, most G-Shock watches come with a 200m resistance, and most Baby G watches offer a 100m resistance.
- Color. Since the G-Shock watches are bulkier and larger and made mostly for men, they tend to come in black or other dark colors, although there are exceptions along the way. In fact, the G-Shock watches are available in red, blue, and silver, but the darker colors are still the most prevalent ones. Baby G watches tend to offer more variety when it comes to color and can be found in colors that include black, white, clear, pink, champagne, blue, teal, silver, and brown, among others.
- Price. As you can imagine, the prices vary greatly depending on the size of the watch and its unique features. The Baby G watches range from $50 to around $600, while the G-Shock watches range from $45 to $1700. These are general price ranges, of course, because you can pay less than these minimums if you shop around for the best price. But even though these are high-quality watches, most people end up not paying anywhere near the maximum prices of the watches. In other words, most G-Shock and Baby G watches are reasonably priced and are made to fit most people’s budgets.
- Features. With both G-Shock and Baby G watches, you get a lot of features to choose from, even though not all of these features are available on every single watch. Some of the features available on many of these watches include excellent shock resistance, 1/100-second stopwatch, day/date feature, 12- and 24-hour formats, auto calendar, afterglow backlight, daily alarm, countdown timer, hourly time signal, quartz movement, digital display, and numerous others. Indeed, whatever feature you consider important on a watch is likely available when you choose a G-Shock or Baby G watch by Casio.
Of course, the main reason why people buy these watches is because they’re durable, shock-resistant, and longer lasting than most other regular watches. In fact, many of these watches are made to last for decades, so the chances of you keeping yours for a very long time are pretty high. Regardless of what you do for a living or how you treat the watch, the truth is that it can take a lot of abuse and keep on going so it is well worth whatever you had to pay for it.
What Do G-Shock and Baby G Watches Have in Common?
Casio G-Shock and Baby G watches have a lot in common. In fact, they share more things in common than they do in differences. The main thing they have in common is their durability and their ability to withstand almost anything you put them through, so when you’re considering G-Shock vs. Baby G similarities, you’ll find that there are quite a few of them and both of these watches are built to last. The G-Shock and Baby G watches were designed by a Casio engineer who set out to create an extremely durable watch that can withstand almost anything, and both of these models prove that this has been achieved.
If you’re looking for a tough watch, not to mention a tough-looking watch, the G-Shock and Baby G models are what you want. These are not delicate watches that you have to be careful with so they don’t break. They are sturdy and strong watches that anyone can wear, regardless of your occupation or your personal habits, and the watches truly offer something for everyone when it comes to how they look.